1Expectations & Qualifications 2Roadmap to Registration 3Therapy Team Application
Becoming a Hand in Paw Therapy Team doesn't happen overnight.
But we promise you'll be so glad you took the time to get registered.
Scroll down to check out the full process or download a printable roadmap!
Complete Volunteer Application
•Complete the Handler Application.
• Attend Community Open House Info Session: RSVP
• Submit Rabies Certificate and Group Obedience Course Certificate to Director of Volunteers and Programs Stacey Roudebush.
Schedule interview/ pet screening with Hand in Paw
Please bring the following forms to the interview/evaluation:
• Completed Handler's Questionnaire
• Towel or blanket for small dogs or cat (10-15 pounds is considered small)
• Collar and leash must be leather or fabric, no prong collars or retractable/metal leashes
Before our Volunteer Department schedules your screening, please watch this video so you have a better understanding of what we will be looking for when we screen you and your pet.
Complete one Shadow Visit (without your pet)
Observe Hand in Paw Therapy Team in action.
Complete Therapy Team Workshop Sessions
• Workshop sessions are held once a week for 4 weeks
• Each session is less than 2 hours
Complete Practice Evaluation
This is your opportunity to practice for the final evaluation.
Complete Final Evaluation
The evaluation gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your team skills. Our Evaluators will guide you through a series of exercises that show the connection you share with your dog and their willingness to follow your cues.
Attend New Team Orientation
You and your pet attend a 1 hour new team orientation at HIP to review important procedures to begin your Therapy Team visits
For questions about the volunteer process, please contact our Director of Volunteers and Programs, Stacey Roudebush.